Three Secrets to Achieve Goals
So what is the secret with achieving goals? Maybe you've reached some, but if you are like many you make big goals & then give up when it gets out of reach.
In my younger years I struggled for years with keeping consistent with exercise. Then the TV show Ninja Warrior came along where I trained for 30 days & completed most of the obstacles. The same thing happened with my financial life - for years I lived in fear of picking the wrong investments, but now with the power of FIRE I'm on track to reach financial freedom in 7 years so my daughters can model the behavior.
Let's look at what works:
- Fun - Make it a game with rewards along the way. I love trying new craft beer, so for me that is a great incentive along the way to keep me motivated. I also love competition, so challenging others can also help.
- Strong Desire - Having a powerful purpose drives our passion. Having a WHY is critical - the 80% vs. the how 20%. We need an urgency to help motivate us daily, so a shorter time like 30 days is a great time to solidify a habit & get 1% better daily.
- System to stay on track - Our brains can tend to make something bigger than it is, so don't let it. Break what you need to do in small steps where you can get into the habit even if it is just for 5min a day, & make sure you are building a Growth mindset so you won't give up.
So get started, now is the time! Give yourself a 30 Day Challenge & get excited while you challenge others to set their goals. If you need some ideas, I'll share what our family is up to:
- Code a playable video game - this includes designing the characters, story, sound. My daughters have been taking free virtual classes, & are even helping teach me. Along the way we've upgraded our computers & tried out old & new games, so look for an upcoming post on that.
- Play 30 new songs on piano - I've always loved music in games & movies, but it wasn't until recently that I saw myself wanting to learn piano. Practicing one key at a time has been very helpful, & you can see my previous post of the USB 32-key piano I'm using on my computer.
- Running a new PR - I used to hate running, but when I started training with runners I learned the tricks of the trade. Just before COVID-19 I had my best time ever. So now I'm not only looking to reach that again, but also look into completing
- The "Murph Challenge" - by later this year by starting with doing a shorter half-Murph. Look for a future post & a virtual 5K group that we're starting.
- Read 5 books - this is a perfect time since I'm pursuing certification while helping colleagues adjust to COVID-19 & working remotely. I've also added friends that are avid readers to my Goodreads so my list of books to check out will never run out.
- Level up the Spanish Language – 5min on a language-learning app is something that can easily be done daily, & making it a game makes it fun.
- Legacy document - this is crucial when you start building wealth so that your family has a clear path of what to do after your passing. I also want to
- Challenge others to invest - in their future, even if they are just getting started. If you qualify, you can still contribute to a Roth IRA for the 2019 tax year.
What 30 Day Challenge are you going to tackle, & what reward will you choose? Let us know on Twitter using #30DayChallenge